The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

V7 chord

I was just wondering about using the V7 chord

Cancel

You mean a chord made from these tones: 1–3–5–7b?
Or in the case of a 5 chord, tones: 5–7–2–4.

I like using them on particular songs, like blues. Mostly, I find the major chords work just fine for me. It all depends on one's taste.

Cancel

V7's sound just a bit 'unresolved' so are great for adding a bit of drama to a song. Great for blues songs, like Carl says, and also for songs like 'Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue', that have that wonderful walk up of 7ths in them, A7, D7, G7, C7 etc.

Cancel

Whats a “V7” ive never heard of that in my 6 years of playing, and I know a lot of chords probably all the 7th chords.

Cancel

V7 just means the chord a fifth away from the root chord but includes the extra note to make the 7th. I believe the system is called I, IV, V or Nashville Numbers. I is the root chord, say G, IV ( the chord a fourth away from the root) would be C and the V (the chord a fifth away from the root) would be D. D7 if you wanted to play the V7 chord. Hope this makes sense and answers your question. Jan

Cancel

So it is a seventh chord ok I just have never heard anyone call it a “V7” chord, and I have been into playing music almost 7 years I think.

Cancel
to write a reply.