The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Videos for open-tuned uke beginners

Are there any videos for open tuned uke (the only one I found is the short utube clip on introducing the uke to young children)

Cancel
Hiding 9 posts. Click to show.

Yes, I saw that clip last week while scavenging the web for links re teaching music to little kiddos. It's great. You should ask permission to include that link in your materials. Esp those targeted to kiddos … and the other end of the age spectrum, for those hoping to stave off dementia or retain sharper brain function through adulthood.
It could help you reach a larger audience with the Toneway Projrct, since funding for music education often channels through larger organizations like schools or grants.
Also, those who treat cognitive disabilities or cognitive decline (I am an Occupational Therapist, specializing in rehabilitation of neurological issues).
These avenues unfortunately require convincing people with funding to support the learning opportunity, and that often means convincing a non-musician and non-artist to find their own reasons/benefits to get on board… (Beyond the obvious joy, art, and social/community enhancement.)
It helps to give the “numbers people” something they can easily relate to, and it is as easy as providing links to information, like the TED Ed clip you shared with me.

Here's another very interesting
TED video on this
Enjoy!

Cancel

(Don't let the title deter you from watching. It's actually quite conservative and not at all inappropriate in content… Though the title unfortunately makes the video less shareable in a wider audience like yours… Maybe you can get her to edit and release one that only compares music to cheesecake and cuddling!)

Cancel

I suspect huge numbers of folks would like to play music, and perhaps most have tried at some point in their lives, so selling it is not the main problem. I doubt knowing the real health benefits will convince many people to play either. I mean, in my experience, we seldom actually do what is in our own best interest… at least until all other 'choices' have proved to be dead ends. ;-)

One big problem I think music is that often is approached (taught and even played) in ways that diminish the enjoyment and benefits it can offer. Our efforts aim at mitigating that somewhat. I imagine word of mouth over time will turn out to be the key.

Another problem in modern times is the immense variety of ways we can distract ourselves, and 'can't find the time'. Along with that is the stressed out and fractured social and cultural environment that hinders folks getting together and playing music.

Despite these roadblocks, I've no doubt humanity will eventually find its way back to 'do it yourself' music… even if that be centuries from now or longer. Cultural evolution take time too. And hey, the science to backup the benefit can only help.

Cancel

Hi Kelly,
I'm just curious if you saw this on our site? It's about family music. http://toneway.com/learn/pages/family-music

Edited Nov 13, 2014 by Leslie Abbott
Cancel

Leslie, what a great article. Is your son studying child psychology? He has great insight.

Good reminder, and applies to so much more than just music.
I especially like this part.

………..

Your secret weapon: patience

The only true leverage a parent has over a child is patience! Patience is profoundly effective in “pulling”. Impatience (i.e., zeal, enthusiasm, fervor, annoyance, anxiety, anger) usually accompanies “pushing” and evokes rebellion, which is invariably counter-productive. In short, impatience is the child’s realm. Parental impatience only results in a battle between impatient children and their impatient parents. Patience is crucial.

Patience can look like these:

Thinking ahead and setting up a long-term multi-year plan – ‘As you sow, so shall you reap’.

Allowing children to stumble and make mistakes. Childhood is the time and place for lots of that.

Only helping when children ask for it rather than giving a lot of unsolicited advice.

Having a child simply be present while music is happening, and being patient enough to wait for them to want to play too.
This is an example of limitation balanced with liberty. Limitation in being required to be present; liberty in being free to do nothing much but simply be present.
……….

Thank you for sharing this. I have already realized I will need to tap into his curiosity and desire to mimic more than actually trying to instruct him. Much easier to peak his attention and make it something he wants to try. Sometimes even more I enticing when he thinks he is getting to do something that I had NOT planned for him to do, so I use that to my best advantage, lol.
Thanks Again,
Kelly H <><

Cancel
to write a reply.