The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

FLOATING PATTERN

Do all your books have the Toneway Method in them including the songs?

is it true that the Floating pattern can be used for any key without the memorization of the scales for each key?

Edited 3 times; last edited Sep 27, 2015 by Delta Four
Cancel

Do all your books have the Toneway Method in them including the songs?

No. You need to read the description to see what each contains.

is it true that the Floating pattern can be used for any key without the memorization of the scales for each key?

You do use memory, but not in a rigid, memorization way. Think of the pattern/s are a stepping stone to play music by ear… how folk musicians throughout time have played music.

Cancel

Im about to give up lessons with a person that teaches play by ear. I cannot remember every note. I HOPE toneway is easyer. At the least I will have audio to listen to and a book to look at

Cancel

… teaches play by ear. I cannot remember every note.

If I am understanding you right, “remembering every note” wouldn't be playing by ear, as I see it. Playing by ear means you remember the melody well enough to hum it, let's say. Then, if you can hum it, you can play it by ear on an instrument if you know the pattern. The first instrument would actually your vocal chords, humming, singing. Of course, whistling counts too.

If one begins in early childhood, the pattern is often 'picked up' intuitively. If one is wanting to learn as an adult, the ToneWay Method provides stepping stones to that intuitive realm. If approached with a modicum of patience you can't fail.

Playing music fluently by ear only takes as long as it took you to learn to speak your native language fluently. Okay, perhaps a bit longer; those brain cells are not as open and flexible as they were when you were an infant. ;-)

Cancel

If its in your head, it's also in your hands, (melody)

Cancel

If its in your head, it's also in your hands, (melody)

Ideally for sure. The hands 'do' the melody. And the route they take follows a pattern. Personally, it took a while for my hands to learn, and even now I have plenty of 'oops' moments.

I began music as an adult in my mid 20s, which I believe placed me at a disadvantage relative to if I had taken up music as a young child. Thanks Mom :-(

Actually, she wanted to spare me the grinding pressure her mother put her through as a child to learn piano. Oh how easy it is to go from on extreme to the other.

In many ways, it is similar to learning language. Just imagine if you never learned your native language as a child, but only began as an adult. You would have to be very patient vis-a-vis your progress.

I find keeping my expectation in line with reality keeps me happier.

Cancel
to write a reply.