The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

What number would this chord be?

In the Key of C can someone tell me what number this would be? On a ukulele the chord is F#°7 or 2323 and what would be a good way to figure it out? 1,4,5 Thanks, Folks

Edited Jun 21, 2019 by Keith M Johnson
Cancel

In terms of 1, 4, 5, the F#°7 would be the 7 of the 5 chord in the key of C. This could lead into an in-depth discussion of music theory that has not the room here to discuss. Maybe someone else can simplify the explanation.

Cancel

Great resource here https://www.playukulelebyear.com/category/the-circle/ if you want to study more on this Keith.

Cancel

If I were writing up this song I’d probably put it down as [5+7] as opposed to a [57].

Cancel

Great resource here https://www.playukulelebyear.com/category/the-circle/ if you want to study more on this Keith.

Thanks…This is a lot, it will take a month to learn all of this. lol I hope I can remember at least some of this.

Edited Jun 21, 2019 by Keith M Johnson
Cancel

That little circle in F#°7 means that it is a diminished chord (well, a diminished seventh, which is often how diminished chords are played anyway). I won't go into too much theory around diminished chords (Google it and you'll get lots of info) but suffice it to say that they are funny chords. They're composed of the tones 1, 3b, 5b, and 6, which are all three semi-tones (three frets) apart. The end result is that F#°7, A°7, C°7, and D#°7 are interchangeable! So I'm never quite sure how to notate them in the number system. Granted, I don't play or think about diminished chords that much, and when I do I mostly just find the one that's needed by ear (since there are really only three of them, and then they repeat). Hmm, I've probably just confused the matter…

Edited Jun 23, 2019 by Luke Abbott
Cancel

No that makes sense. I was just wondering because they use the 1,4,5, but they put that chord as the second chord. Maybe I'll just omit it and use another chord. Thanks.

Cancel

Just realized that F#°7 is the same as C°7, so I'd probably opt to call this a diminished 1 chord myself. :-)

Also, I edited my post above; diminished is 1-3b-5b-6, not 1-3b-5b-7b.

Cancel
to write a reply.